Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A successful secret to growing plants.

There are some traits we would love to be able to claim from our grandparents. Both my grandmothers were wonderful gardeners that had gardens that your imagination could run wild with. Sadly that gene has missed me. I love plants, and I have no trouble buying them and planting them the problem is quite simply I forget that they are there.

Over the last couple of summers in Adelaide we have had some of our plants die due to water restrictions and hubby desire to see which plants will last in the climate we now face. Plants can be watered by rain water tank, so I have decided that with my kid’s love of salads I would again try to plant vegetables. Last year we grew a few zucchini and cucumbers with hubby and the kids watering my plants. This winter I tried growing beetroots, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce and carrots. Most survived thanks to the rain although I did forget to weed out the carrots and we did not get to eat any broccoli or cauliflower. Feeling proud of my winter gardening achievements we have now undertaking growing strawberries, sweet corn, tomatoes, eggplant and capsicum.

But now we are wiser and have a fence around our little veggie patch to keep out the pest. The reason we did not get to eat any cauliflower was that the dog decided that he really liked the taste of the leaves and had pulled up and ate the plants before we knew what was happening. Only one broccoli grew and as the kids informed me a week ago actually was ready to eat, that was until I was outside with the kids looking at the broccoli deciding its fate, when the dog joined us and after a glance at us walked over to the plant and took out a big chunk and walked off happy with his meal. Our new successful secret to growing plants - Keep the dog away from them.

Sometimes in life we will start things that other will be happy to assist us with to see the final product. I thank God for my kids and hubby.

Religion blogs




Bookmark & Share

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. My grandmother was a wonderful gardener. I'm lucky if my artifical plants live. Nice story!

    ReplyDelete